This is a guide only, for cooking an unstuffed turkey. Please ensure all food is thoroughly cooked and piping hot
1. Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan or gas-mark 4.
2. Smear butter all over the turkey and season with salt and pepper.
3. Put in a roasting tin, breast-side up, and roast for 40 mins per 1kg for the first 4kg, then 45 mins for every 1kg over that weight, or until the internal temperature reaches 65-70C. The turkey will continue to cook and the temperature will rise while it rests.
4. Remove the turkey from the oven and rest in a warm place for 30-45 mins – don’t skip this step as the juices won’t be reabsorbed back into the turkey and will run out if you carve it straightaway. Don’t cover the turkey too tightly if you want the skin to stay crisp, but keep it warm.
5. Before serving your turkey, check that the meat is steaming hot throughout, there is no pink meat visible and when you cut into the thickest part of the meat, the juices run clear.